Lafayette Fire Department Recruitment Process
In order to be considered for appointment to the Lafayette Fire Department the applicant must meet the following pre-employment requirements (this list is not all-inclusive):
- An applicant must be a resident citizen of the United States and must be a resident of Tippecanoe County, Indiana or a contiguous county at the time of appointment.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age.
- Applicants shall be a high school graduate as evidenced by a diploma issued by a high school accredited by the department or agency of a state authorized to accredit high schools. An equivalency diploma (G.E.D.) issued by such an accredited high school is acceptable.
- Must acquire an Indiana Drivers License within 30 days of appointment.
- A dishonorable discharge from the military shall disqualify the applicant.
- Applicants receiving compensation or pension benefits from the military service are not disqualified from applying.
- The applicant shall also possess the following Vision standards:
- Corrected vision-binocular vision no worse than 20/40.
- Uncorrected vision-binocular vision no worse than 20/100 (with the exception for long term successful users of soft contact lenses).
- The applicant shall also have the ability to distinguish the colors of red, green, and amber.
- The applicant shall have no pathology of the eyes.
- Minimum standards as set forth by the Indiana Public Retirement Fund-PERF.
- Applicants shall not have been convicted of a felony.
- Must be able to successfully complete both the written aptitude examination and extensive physical agility test.
- Must be able to pass a preliminary background check and a thorough background investigation.
- Must submit to two (2) oral interviews.
- Must successfully pass polygraph test.
- No illegal delivery of drugs for monetary or material gain.
- No illegal use of any type of drugs for 2 years prior to applying.
- Eligibility ends on the applicants 36 birthday.
- State of Indiana HOUSE BILL 1359, Sec 5 (a) - effective July 1st, 2016: Waives the maximum hiring age restrictions that apply to the appointment and hiring of police officers and firefighters for an individual who is a veteran of the armed forces and who is not more than forty (40) years and (6) months of age. Provides that an individual who is appointed as a police officer or a firefighter as the result of a waiver is eligible to become a member of the 1977 police officers' and firefighters' pension and disability fund (1977 fund). Requires a member of the 1977 fund to retire at 70 years of age.
Application Process - Follow link to website for this additional information...
1) Complete Written Test (Opportunity to take online practice tests on webiste)
2) Complete & Submit Application
3) Preliminary Background Check
4) Interview With Lafayette Fire Merit Commission
5) Scoring of Applications
6) Compilation of Hiring List
7) Candidate Physical Abilities Test Certification
8) Additional Information
Applications are due on or before March 2nd, 2018!
MUST APPLY HERE: http://www.lafayette.in.gov/782/Recruitment
Equal Opportunity Employer
About this company
Webb Motorized Chemical Fire Engine
Cincinnati had the 1st motorized fire truck in 1902. And the 1st self propelled fire engine was used in New York City in 1841. In April of 1911, a new Webb Motorized Chemical Fire engine arrived in Lafayette. It came via the Wabash Railroad from the Webb Company of St. Louis, Missouri. The loaner truck was put into service at the new central fire station on north 4th Street and was to answer all alarms within the city during the hours of 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. There was a large gone on the dashboard of the truck to help clear the way. It was also tested on 9th Street Hill and performed very well. The Webb motor engine was returned to St. Louis in May of 1911.
Location/Region: Lafayette, IN