4428 – Interior Designer – Facilities Management
Starting Salary: $19.67/hr
This position is with the Pima County Facilities Management Department.
Salary Grade: 44
Assists in researching, investigating and applying interior design standards for new construction, remodeled and tenant improvement projects. This classification is distinguishable from the Design Specialist classification by its emphasis on the spatial and ergonometric design of interior environments using furniture, fixtures, equipment and other materials.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
- Assists in researching, investigating and applying interior design standards for new construction, remodeled and tenant improvement projects under the management and operational control of the Facilities Management Department;
- Conducts research on manufacturing processes, product design, performance characteristics, specifications and durability and makes recommendations for adoption into the County's design standards;
- Investigates, identifies and documents the interior design needs and requirements of clients;
- Analyzes the needs and requirements, proposes options and works with clients in developing specific solutions;
- Develops design documents including contract-working drawings, specifications and budget estimates using PC-based productivity software programs and the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) format;
- Conducts research to determine applicable building codes requirements, state and federal guidelines and other regulatory issues pertaining to the internal design component of projects;
- Coordinates and participates in design projects performed either in-house or by outsourced contractors;
- Participates and provides guidance to staff involved in the procurement of labor, materials, furniture, fixtures or equipment in compliance with the Pima County Procurement Code and established County design standards;
- Establishes and maintains project files including verbal, written or graphic communications needed for compliance with Pima County Policies or department guidelines;
- Reviews and approves project invoices for conformance to specifications and payment;
- Maintains current project budgets for periodic reports.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- principles and practices of interior and/or architectural design including aesthetics, psychology of space planning and ergonomic considerations;
- interior construction practices including building systems and their components, building codes and standards, equipment, materials, furnishings and working drawings/specifications;
- contracting practices relative to the construction industry;
- facility operations including maintenance requirements, traffic patterns, security and fire protection;
- aesthetics including sense of scale, proportion and form, color, texture, finishes, style and visual imagery;
- effects of environmental and psychological components of space design and the effects that color, texture, space have on mood, alertness, etc.;
- practices and techniques of Computer Aided Drafting (CAD);
- principles, practices and techniques of developing construction cost-estimates.
- principles practices and techniques of project management.
- researching and applying the requirements of building codes, zoning ordinances, development plan regulations, product manual specifications and technical standards to develop and refine design parameters in solving the needs of the project;
- using CAD to review, create or modify design documents;
- writing Interior Design and Architectural performance specifications using CSI format;
- using computer-based productivity software tools such as word processors, spreadsheets and data bases;
- establishing rapport and effective working relationships with clients and co-workers.
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or professional trade school with a major in interior design or architecture and two years of professional level work experience as an Interior Designer, Interior Design Assistant or Architect.
(2) Professional certification from the National Council for Interior Design Qualifications (NCIDQ) as an Interior Designer.
(3) Six years of professional level work experience as an Interior Designer, Interior Design Assistant or Architect.
(Two years of relevant experience may be substituted for candidates with an Associate's degree in interior design.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
- Experience with commercial interior design to include governmental office, legal and law enforcement, judicial, occasional medical, community centers, and/or libraries.
- Experience with systems furniture design and installation.
- Strong interpersonal skills including excellent verbal, written and graphic communication skills.
- Experience/knowledge with a working level of competence in Microsoft Word, Excel, Auto-CAD 2015 (or later version), Adobe Acrobat, Bluebeam Revu.
- Experience/working knowledge of current building codes.
- Current NCIDQ certification.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Risk Management's review and approval of the candidate's driving record. Failure to maintain the required licensure shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: Ability to obtain jail pass and post offer physical is required. Due to the need for access to law enforcement, detention or correctional facilities, some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation by law enforcement agencies.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.
CLOSING DATE: Friday, 1/05/2018 11:59 PM Arizona Time
When applying to this position, please note the Job Number is 2017 - 01224.
Location/Region: Tucson, AZ (US)